So you want to get involved and help improve young people’s lives? Great!
There are several ways that you can be involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters of Manawatu.
- BECOME A MENTOR
- BECOME A FRIEND OF BBBS AND ASSIST US IN RAISING FUNDS FOR THE ORGANISATION
- MAKE A DONATION
- BECOME A SPONSOR
- RAISE AWARENESS
If any of the above interests you or if you wish to discuss other ways in which you can help please contact Maree Severinsen (06) 3581204
Why become a mentor?
Researchers found that after 18 months of spending time with their mentors, when compared with their peers Little Brothers and Sisters were:
- 46% less likely to start using drugs
- 27% less likely to start drinking
- 52% less likely to skip a day of school
- more confident in their schoolwork performance
- able to get along better with their families
- One third less likely to hit someone.
In addition, a 1999 evaluation of BBBS agency school-based mentoring programs revealed that:
- 64% of students developed a more positive attitude toward school
- 58% achieved higher grades
- 55% were better able to express their feelings
- 64% had higher levels of self-confidence
- 62% were more likely to trust their teachers
How to become a mentor.
To become a Big Brothers Big Sisters mentor the process is as below
- Fill out an application form
- 3 nominated referees are contacted
- Police checks are completed
- Applicant is invited for an in-person interview
- The applicant then attends mentor training/workshop
- Placed on mentor waiting list to be matched with a suitable child or young person
BBBS offer training and ongoing professional support for our mentors
If you would like to find out more about becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister in the community click here.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister in schools click here.