So you want to get involved and help improve young people’s lives? Great!
There are several ways that you can be involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters of Manawatu.
- BECOME A MENTOR
- BECOME A FRIEND OF BBBS AND ASSIST US IN RAISING FUNDS FOR THE ORGANISATION
- MAKE A DONATION
- BECOME A SPONSOR
- RAISE AWARENESS
If any of the above interests you or if you wish to discuss other ways in which you can help please contact Julie Holden (06) 358 1204
Why become a mentor?
Researchers found that after 18 months of spending time with their mentors, when compared with their peers Little Brothers and Sisters were:
- 46% less likely to start using drugs
- 27% less likely to start drinking
- 52% less likely to skip a day of school
- more confident in their schoolwork performance
- able to get along better with their families
- One third less likely to hit someone.
In addition, a 1999 evaluation of BBBS agency school-based mentoring programs revealed that:
- 64% of students developed a more positive attitude toward school
- 58% achieved higher grades
- 55% were better able to express their feelings
- 64% had higher levels of self-confidence
- 62% were more likely to trust their teachers
How to become a mentor.
To become a Big Brothers Big Sisters mentor the process is as below
- Fill out an application form
- 3 nominated referees are contacted
- Police checks are completed
- Applicant is invited for an in-person interview
- The applicant then attends mentor training/workshop
- Placed on mentor waiting list to be matched with a suitable child or young person
BBBS offer training and ongoing professional support for our mentors
If you would like to find out more about becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister in the community click here.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister in schools click here.