So you want to get involved and help improve young people’s lives? Great!
There are several ways that you can be involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters of Manawatu.
If any of the above interests you or if you wish to discuss other ways in which you can help please contact us (06) 358 1204
Why become a mentor?
Researchers found that after 18 months of spending time with their mentors, when compared with their peers Little Brothers and Sisters were:
- 46% less likely to start using drugs
- 27% less likely to start drinking
- 52% less likely to skip a day of school
- more confident in their schoolwork performance
- able to get along better with their families
- One third less likely to hit someone.
In addition, a 1999 evaluation of BBBS agency school-based mentoring programs revealed that:
- 64% of students developed a more positive attitude toward school
- 58% achieved higher grades
- 55% were better able to express their feelings
- 64% had higher levels of self-confidence
- 62% were more likely to trust their teachers
How to become a mentor.
See our information on becoming a mentor and use our online pre-apply form to start the process